Lessons had been learned from the South African wars and by 1914 veterinary care was now efficient and effective. Divisional transport assets each had a veterinary section overseeing animal health and welfare, capable of treating minor injuries and equipped with an equine ambulance. Any horse needing more advanced care could be evacuated by this means to a Veterinary hospital behind the lines. The 1917 Mk II ‘Lingfield Pattern’ Horse Ambulance in the RLC collection was in service with the Royal Army Veterinary Corps in Aldershot Garrison until the 1970s. This is a reversible vehicle - the shafts can be taken out and inserted the other end, allowing for ease of loading. The strange arch over the top is actually the axle and provides a sturdy support to support an injured horse when necessary.